Navigation

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Boones take on South Korea

We are excited to announce that we have decided to get a command sponsorship to South Korea.
This will extend J's tour from 12 months to 36 months. But this means that we can go with him. We originally did not go because we were unsure of what the country was really like. Whether it was safe for our family. Whether it was clean. Whether we would have a nice place to live.

Now that J has been there for a few months he has been able to explorer the city. While it isn't America, it's not as "third-world" as we thought it would be. The city is quite large with skyscrapers and a "high-tech" feeling. If the army didn't think it was safe, they wouldn't allow command-sponsorships.

The shopping is great, the food is yummy and the Luxury Apartments are NICE. We are very excited to go and enjoy this adventure.

Your probably wondering why we decided to go. We have discussed this issue over and over again. Back and forth, front to back. The pros, the cons.... I think I have a huge list of scribbles, thoughts and notes when thinking about all of this.

First and fore most we of course do not like to be separated. Especially when it's technically voluntarily. When we could be together. We feel we will be separated enough as a military family that we really don't like putting ourselves through a voluntary separation.
J also loves it there. And it will be an experience we will never otherwise get to experience. Our kids will grow to become more culturally diverse, more open minded and more aware of the world - something 99% of American Children don't get the chance to have.
I myself love change so I know that while it's not going to be a cake walk living in another country, it's going to be a fun adventure for us. There are a lot of support there for the families too and all the benefits including american DoD schools available to families. That is one thing I struggle with on a daily basis being left behind. I don't have an FRG locally to turn to, I don't have friends whose husbands are going through an unaccompanied tour to Korea. Everyone else's husbands are deployed to Afghanistan. Many wives have made it very clear that I don't fit into their support system or should be granted benefits the "combat" deployed spouses receive. Once in country I will have other families going through what I'm going to, a local FRG directed towards my current situation, my soldier by my side.

I know that my family does not understand nor like the decision we have made but we have carefully discussed and made this decision based on what is best for and what our immediate family wants to do.

I hope you look forward to enjoying my adventures through this new blog. I plan on updating it throughout our adventure to South Korea from the starting paperwork/medical process through coming home.

 나중에 봬요!
Na-jung-e bwae-yo!
SEE YOU LATER!

1 comment:

  1. Kara you and Josh are grown-ups with your own kids and your own family. That in my opinion makes you completely capable of making your own decisions and dealing with the consequences (good or bad) of those decisions. Therefore, don't let what anyone says, family or otherwise, make you feel guilty or bad for deciding to take yourself and your children to be with Josh. Your children deserve to be with their father and you and Josh deserve to be together. That is the commitment you made when you married, to follow him wherever you are able. I am sorry to hear that there are people in your family and/or friend who don't support your decision. That makes me sad. This should be a joyful and exciting time for all of you. I want you to know you have my support 100%! I truly believe you are doing the right thing for many reasons. So you go forward with what you and Josh have decided as a couple and be proud of that decision. God bless you for your dedication and your commitment to your marriage and your children!

    ReplyDelete